Our Appraisal Service
What this service offers:
This service is for those who have written their manuscript - a novel, a memoir or a short story - and would like a full assessment of what is and isn't working. One of our team will read the entire manuscript and give you thorough and constructive written feedback. Once the appraisal document has been sent to you, you will have six weeks to uptake an optional one-hour long telephone consultation to discuss the report's findings. The scope of the report will include feedback on:
- Overview - How is it looking overall? Do you have a strong story idea and are you bringing it to life for the reader?
- Plot and structure - Does it have a saggy middle or slow beginning? Are the key plot points in place and is your ending satisfying?
- Characters - Are your characters engaging or do they leave the reader not caring? Are their character arcs holding up?
- Setting - Are you using setting to its full advantage so that it is contributing to the story. Does your setting draw the reader in?
- Dialogue - Are your voices authentic and does your dialogue serve its purpose, or are you slipping into conversation, or worse?
- Point of view - Is your point of view choice working for your story arc, and are you maintaining it consistently throughout?
- Language - Are you using a consistent tone and style throughout, and is your use of language effective and engaging?
- Grammar & Punctuation - Is your grammar being used correctly, and do you have any writing tics you need to be aware of?
Who this service best fits:
This process takes an-depth look at your work, which can result in anything from minor tweaks to a major rewriting, so do be prepared for that. For this reason, this process is often of most benefit to writers who:
- Have written a decent second draft and now want to get the structure and content firmly in place before polishing the text and preparing for a final copyedit.
- Have completed a full copy, polished or otherwise, but it simply doesn't seem to work and they don't know how to fix it. This process can help identify why.
What this service costs:
The cost of this service varies according to the length of the piece being assessed. Once you fill out the form below, giving us information about your manuscript, we will let you know the exact costs involved, but for now, here are some guidelines about our charges:
Novels & Memoirs
Full manuscript appraisal of up to 70,000 words is £700, plus £7 for every 1,000 extra words.
Short stories up to 2,000 words are £75, plus £10 for every 1,000 extra words.
What to do now:
Fill out the form opposite and we will contact you via email with a quote and a turnaround estimate.
We are looking forward to helping you make your manuscript shine. You've worked hard to get this far, let us help you the rest of the way.